Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Toppermost of the Poppermost, Part 2



The Beatles' second appearance on Top Of The Pops was in Episode #04, which aired the week of December 19th, 1964.

The material was taken from their November 17th taping for Top Gear, and includes a unique bit of chat with Ringo talking about his "long nose", which wasn't part of the original Top Gear broadcast.


You'll notice at the end that Brian Matthew mentions their return visit in a few weeks' time. This was in Episode #08, broadcast the week of January 16th, 1965. I don't have a copy of this episode, but written records indicate it included a repeat of "I Feel Fine", as well as "I'll Follow The Sun" and "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby", all borrowed from Top Gear. I suspect the interview portion was John and Paul describing the covers on Beatles For Sale, and George having "a cold and a cough". If anyone has a copy of this Top Of The Pops, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment